Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year 2008!


Photo I took of Tokyo Daibutsu last night after midnight.

New Year's is Japan's most important holiday and hatsumode--the year's first visit to a temple or shrine--festivities are held at practically every shrine and temple across the country. Just a short bike ride from my apartment is a temple with the distinction of being home to Japan's third largest sitting Buddah, known as Tokyo Daibutsu.

Hatsumode have a festival-like atmosphere with various food stands and thousands of people making wishes and purchasing lucky charms for a fortunate new year. It's ideal to visit a temple at midnight on New Year's eve, when the temple's bell is rung 108 times. In Buddhism we have 108 worldly passions (desires), which we repent by listening to the bell sounds.

I recorded the bell with my Sony PCM-D1


So do you like the color or black-and-white shot better?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

あけましておめでとう!

It's about time for you to start a blog. I hope it will be a New Year's resolution you will keep. Or perhaps we will see a flurry of posts for the first two weeks and then...? :)

To answer your question, I think I like the color image. The bush in front really pops out more.

January 2, 2008 at 2:02 AM  
Blogger whiterabbit said...

Yeah, if people visit and read it that will certaily encourage me to write, but otherwise there's not much point...

Thanks for being the first to comment!

January 2, 2008 at 2:21 AM  
Blogger John Vamvakias said...

A great way to start the new year. I for one will be looking forward to many visits to keep up with your adventures afar. I also made your picture into my wallpaper(the color one).

January 2, 2008 at 3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home