Monday, June 23, 2008

Dangers of Street Photography in Kabukicho

did tomoko mention that 3 guys kicked my ass?

[5:13:11 PM] andreszd says: no!
[5:13:13 PM] andreszd says: ?
[5:13:17 PM] andreszd says: what happened?

[5:16:53 PM] Max Hodges - White Rabbit Press says: oh was out with 3 Japanese. two girls and another guy. We were all in suits and had dinner in Shinjuku and drinks in Kabubukicho. On the way back to the station I snapped a pic of some girl sitting on the curb. she had her head down like very drunk. but not puking. didn't get her face or anything, just her sitting there. some guy out of the blue came over and complained that I took the picture. I immediately said "sumimasen sumimasen, keshimasu." (trans: sorry, i'll delete it) and showed him that I was deleting it. (if it was a stellar photo I might have tried to keep it, but I didn't really care about the shot at all). and then he kicked me. so I said again, "keshimasuyo!" (trans: I'm deleting it!) and tried to show them that I'm deleting it, and he punched and kicked me. after about 3-4 times of that, I gave the camera to my friend so I could fight back

[5:17:39 PM] andreszd says: shit
[5:17:46 PM] andreszd says: fighting in a suit!
[5:17:51 PM] andreszd says: then what happened?

[5:18:15 PM] Max Hodges - White Rabbit Press says: his friend joined and I busted his friend's nose. (got blood on my shirt and jacket) :(

some people tried to break it up, and someone held me from behind. at first I was like,, oh this is bad, but then I just figured that the guy behind me was just trying to stop the fight so I relaxed...but then he threw me down to the ground, so I had three guys kicking me.

[5:18:33 PM] Max Hodges - White Rabbit Press says: I managed to take off my jacket at one point...

[5:18:41 PM] andreszd says: jesus
[5:19:07 PM] andreszd says: go to hospital?

[5:19:50 PM] Max Hodges - White Rabbit Press says: dude kicked me as hard as he could in my thigh. it's very bruised. hurts to walk. even hurts when I lay down. kills me on stairs. also hurt my shoulder, jaw, neck, and stomach/adbomin near my lower rib. luckily they didn't break it.

[5:19:52 PM] Max Hodges - White Rabbit Press says: no
[5:20:12 PM] Max Hodges - White Rabbit Press says: no hospital. cops came and the dude who started it manged to walk away while the cops where checking my ID haha

[5:20:30 PM] andreszd says: man
[5:20:34 PM] andreszd says: wtf

[5:21:06 PM] Max Hodges - White Rabbit Press says: on the way home, I saw another fight and took pictures of it. I've seen like 4 fights in the last couple weeks. too many K1 fans in the place. think it gets them all in the fighting mood.

[5:21:49 PM] Max Hodges - White Rabbit Press says: guess my luck in kabukicho ran out. think I'll just take photos of cats and flowers from here out.

[5:22:55 PM] Max Hodges - White Rabbit Press says: hard to fight three people...

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's intense, Max.
At least you got a few good hits in.
Looking forward to those cat and flower pictures, though! That's new thematic territory for you!

June 30, 2008 at 2:53 AM  
Blogger whiterabbit said...

happened that night I bumped into you!

June 30, 2008 at 4:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

two gaijin friends of mine were in Kabukicho hostess bars a few years ago, and of course one massively overcharged on the final bill. A scuffle broke out, went downstairs on to the street, and the German was knifed in the abdomen. Fortunatly, being a fat gourmand, he was saved by years of oversauced, Hiroo set-courses. He was in hospital though for two weeks. He's never left the village of Nishi Azabu since, and often points out how overeating rich foods saved his life.

July 1, 2008 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger whiterabbit said...

wow that's terrible. Does he remember the name of the place, or the street? Was it Japanese or Africans or Chinese? Did he later identify who stabbed him to the police or anything? Would love to know any more details you can provide. I could possibly work this story into a project I'm working on (www.tokyorealtime.com)

July 1, 2008 at 10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will claw the living eyeballs out of anyone who touches me in that place...literally. Glad you are ok Max, tell Tomoko I said hello please.

August 5, 2008 at 11:35 PM  
Blogger whiterabbit said...

>I will claw the living eyeballs out of anyone who touches me in that place...literally.

yikes!

Well it's hard to fight three people. Kabukicho shooter Jim O'Connell has also been attacked three-on-one there. Got hurt worst than me. Smashed his Mamiya too...

August 5, 2008 at 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home